Schaffhausen, January 2: India today summoned the Chinese Deputy Chief of Mission in New Delhi to lodge a high-level protest over the ill treatment meted out to an Indian diplomat based in Shanghai.

The diplomat, S Balachandran, was injured and hospitalised following an assault by a large group of Chinese traders in a 

court in the eastern business hub of Yiwu. He was on an official mission to secure the release of two Indian traders who had been held hostage for two weeks by locals, demanding payment of their dues.

“We have taken it up pretty strongly with the Chinese, that this is no way to treat a diplomat, that he should be allowed access to medication,” source at the Indian ministry of external affairs were quoted as saying.

S Balachandran had to spend five hours in the court over prolonged negotiations where he declared that he was diabetic, but was not allowed medication or food.

The 46-year old diplomat had to be rushed to hospital when he fainted after being “manhandled” by the crowd that tried to snatch the two kidnapped Indians who clung to him as he tried to leave the courtroom.

The incident took place on the night on December 31 in the presence of police and the judge.

Riva Ganguly Das, the Indian Consul General in Shanghai, was quoted as saying that Balachandran was “manhandled” while trying to secure the release of the two Indians.

Although local officials reportedly apologised to the Indian diplomat following the incident, India doesn’t seem to be in a mood to tone down its protest.

According to media reports, India will be issuing a demarche to China over the ill treatment of its diplomat in Yiwu.

India’s charge de affaires Rahul Chabbra would make the demarche to the Chinese foreign ministry.

Relations between the two Asian giants hit a rocky patch recently when India cancelled high-level talks with China over the long drawn boundary dispute after Beijing demanded New Delhi scrap a religious gathering where the Dalai Lama was scheduled to speak.